CAD Divider

Householder Planning Applications – your questions answered

Nov 17, 2022

By Laura Potts MRTPI, Planning Consultant, CAD Planning

What is a Householder Planning Application?

This type of planning application is specifically designed for people who want to make alterations to their house, or build an outbuilding such as a garage or shed. A Householder Planning Application would also be used for any other works that need planning permission and that happen within the ‘curtilage’ of the property (the boundary formed by the house and its garden).

What type of property can use a Householder Planning Application?

This type of application can only be used for single houses. It cannot be used for flats, for more than one house, or if you are applying for a change of use. For these, a Full Planning Permission would be necessary.

Householder Planning Applications also cannot be used if the house is a Listed Building or if it sits within a conservation area.

What are the benefits of a Householder Planning Application?

It offers a simplified and streamlined form of planning permission which is suitable for relatively small-scale works.

The process is much more straightforward than Full Planning Permission and all relevant details of the development proposal are submitted in one planning application.

Can you give some examples of projects where a Householder Planning Application might be used?

Householder Planning Applications would typically cover projects such as:

· Large extensions and conservatories

· Garages and car ports

· Swimming pools

· Garage conversions

· Changes to doors or windows, such as dormer windows

· Garden walls, fences and gates

Do I always need a Householder Planning Application if I plan to carry out work on my house?

Not necessarily. There are certain types of work which you are allowed to carry out without applying for specific planning permission. These are termed ‘permitted development rights.’ Examples of these can include:

· Internal alterations

· Small extensions to your home

· Building a porch

· Replacing chimneys

Bear in mind that the use of permitted development rights is governed by certain limitations and conditions. So it is worth considering getting some expert advice before you forge ahead on one of these projects. Completing the work will also require you to adhere to specific criteria.

How can I tell if a Householder Planning Permission is appropriate for my project?

Local Planning Authorities have a pre-application process that allows you to describe the works you are planning so that they can guide you on the type of planning permission that would be needed. In many cases, this pre-application process takes the form of a straightforward online questionnaire. They also have a ‘Do I Need Planning’ Enquiry service, which is a chargeable service; The response is not a formal decision from the Council, but nonetheless can be helpful to have something in writing to keep for future reference. (The current fee for this service for householders is £275 + VAT.)

If I go ahead, what plans will I need to submit?

Obviously, this will vary according to the size and complexity of the work that you are proposing. Most Householder Planning Applications will require, at minimum, a site plan and a location plan. The golden rule is that you should supply enough detail in your plans and drawings to give the Planning Officer a clear idea of how the finished project will look. This could include the materials you intend to use and any changes you plan to make to existing trees, lawns or hedges.

How long does a Householder Planning Application take and how much is the fee?

From the date that your Local Planning Authority validates your application, it normally takes up to eight weeks for a decision. The standard local authority fee for a Householder Planning Application in England is £206.

It is worth noting that if the work is for disabled access or to provide greater safety, health or comfort for a disabled person, then this fee can be waived.

Once your planning application is approved, you can begin the work on your property right away – ensuring that you comply with any conditions that may have been placed on the application.

If you need advice on this topic or on any other questions relating to planning matters, then get in touch with the team at CAD Planning.

We are in constant dialogue with our Local Authority and can give you expert guidance to steer you through the planning process.

If you have already made a Householder Planning Application and have had this refused, then you may want to talk to us to see if you have sufficient grounds to make an appeal. Be aware that any appeal must be made within 12 weeks of the date on the decision letter you received from your local planning authority.

You can contact us at